Finishing school and want to earn some money before starting tertiary study?
Not sure what you want to do next year but need money to support the end of school holidays? Want to try a different roles to see how to structure your future plans?
If you have a drivers license (restricted or full) consider contacting temp agencies like Tradestaff or Onestaff – both are looking for keen and able people to fill busy holiday roles and plug staffing gaps while others are on holiday.
Current vacancies vary but check out the following sites:
- Tradestaff – starting roles could include office temping, labourers, hammer hands, painters, fruit picking and much more. If you have a Forklift license, done traffic management qualifications, if you’ve enjoyed Food Tech and have skills in bakery or food prep, there are roles for you too.
- Onestaff – like Tradestaff, Onestaff have a variety of jobs based on employers needs over holiday period.
Student employment opportunities for lifeguards, student librarians, retail positions and other work also appear on sites like TradeMe and Seek:
- TradeMe – check out the city’s full-time, part-time and holiday/casual listings – holiday jobs start to be advertised from September on – so start looking now.
- Seek – like TradeMe – check out the most suitable option for you and start checking regularly from now so that you’re ready if something comes up.
Holiday roles are a great way for you to try and make your mark with recruiters and employers – they always have the potential to turn into something more permanent or give you the connections and experience to move to something more permanent if you prove your worth.
If you would like some help with getting your CV together or some interview skills – please pop into the Careers Office Room 32A to see Catherine, or make a time to see Mr Smith.
If you want to get started on your own CV and cover letter – Careers NZ have great examples for you to check out and use – their School Leaver one is a really useful and can be tailored to match the job advert so you can show off exactly how you are the right person for the job!
Feel free to get in touch with the Careers team if you’d like help tweaking that CV:
- Mr Smith – email@example.com
- Catherine – firstname.lastname@example.org