Four part-time, fixed-term positions available.
6 weeks (13th December 2019 – 20th January 2020)
Applications close 29th September 2019
E ngā mana, e ngā reo, e ngā maunga, e ngā wai, e ngā pātaka o ngā taonga tuku iho, tēnā koutou!
Kei te wātea tētahi tūranga ki Te Whare Pukapuka o Tauranga Moana. Ko ēnei e whai ake nei ngā āhuatanga me ngā whakaritenga o tēnei tūranga.
Tauranga City Libraries are part of the Tauranga City Council Community Services department. We aim to meet the changing information, recreation and learning needs of the community, and to grow the utilisation of the library collections.
We have an exciting opportunity for four enthusiastic, confident, out-going students to join our libraries team.
During the Summer months we run the Summer Reading Programme, a programme for children aged 5-10 years old, and a tween/teen equivalent for ages 11-18. The Student Librarians will be employed to support the running of this programme and to undertake general library duties at each of our Tauranga City Libraries.
The four positions available:
- Tauranga Central Library – 29 hours per week – Monday & Friday (9:15-5:45), Saturday & Sunday (9:15-4:15)
- Pāpāmoa Library – 29 hours per week – Monday & Friday (9:15-5:45), Saturday & Sunday (9:15-4:15)
- Greerton Library – 28 hours per week – Monday & Friday (9:15-5:15), Saturday & Sunday (9:15-4:15)
- Mount Maunganui Library – 21.5 hours – Monday & Friday (9:15-5:15), Saturday (9:15-4:15)
In your cover letter please specify which library you would like to apply for. Applying for multiple libraries is allowed.
- Talk with children, tweens and teens about books they have read
- Deliver various activities for children in the library
- Programme resource preparation
- Utilise library software to fulfill customer requests
- Accurate input of participant data into digital platform
- Offer advice on reading material for children
- Help ensure library presentation is tidy and welcoming
- Book shelving duties to ensure a tidy and easy to navigate library
- NCEA Level One
- Experience working with children and teens preferred
- Outgoing and confident
- Positive and approachable
- Good level of computer skills
- Able to self-manage and take initiative
- Flexibility as the work will be varied
For more information and application forms – please refer to Tauranga City Council – Student Librarian Job Advertisement.
For assistance with CV preparation or interview skills – please see Catherine or Mr Smith in the Careers Office – Room 32A
Tauranga City Council is committed to the protection and well being of children in the community. A key part of this role involves working with children so, as part of our assessment of candidates, we conduct Police Vetting prior to employment to ensure we continue to provide a safe environment. This requirement complies with the Vulnerable Children’s Act 2014 and you can find out more about our safety process check here